- In WSS server, start SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration.
- Click Application Management tab, then Create or extend SharePoint Web application link.
- Click Extend an existing Web application link .
- Select the Web Application (SharePoint Site) which you want to extend by click on the drop down box next to Web Application.
- Enter the Port number you wish to used. For SSL you can used the standard port number 443.
- Used Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) = Yes .
- Select the required Zone .
- Click OK button to extend the site.
You might need to change the access mapping to reflect the URL if your WSS is going to publish to the Internet. the path are Central Administration > Operations > Alternate Access Mappings
Next step is to setup your IIS SSL Certificate.
- Start IIS Manager.
- In IIS Manager the newly extended site (SSL) is available. Right click on the Site Name, select Properties.
- Select Directory Security tab, click Server Certificate... button.
- Follow the Certificate wizard to install the certificate for your new site.
- Click Edit... button.
- In Secure Communications windows, Checked Required secure channel (SSL).
- Checked Required
- 128-bit encryption.